Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Working holiday in Finland - Embassy of Finland, Canberra : Services : Working holiday


Embassy of Finland, Canberra
Tel. +61-2-6273 3800
E-mail: and
English | Suomi | Svenska | Facebook |  |  | Instagram

Working holiday in Finland

Agreements on working holidays have been in force between Finland and Australia and between Finland and New Zealand since 2002 and 2004 respectively. According to the agreements, citizens of Australia and New Zealand are permitted to reside in Finland for 12 months. A working holiday residence permit is primarily intended for a holiday, but it also involves the right to work to a limited extent.

More information about the Working Holiday residence permit is found on the Finnish Immigration Service website.

Applying for a residence permit

What you need to do

  1. Make sure you meet the requirements for the working holiday residence permit. (See the Finnish Immigration Service website)
  2. Make sure you have all the attachments needed.
  3. Complete your application using the E-service Enter Finland or fill in the paper application form. (Available on the Finnish Immigration Service website)
  4. Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland or at the Embassy of Finland in Canberra.
  5. If you are in Australia or New Zealand, visit the Embassy of Finland in Canberra for the compulsory interview.
  6. Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.

Interview at the Embassy of Finland

All residence permit applicants are to attend an interview at the Embassy of Finland to finalise their application. The applicants must present the following during the interview.

  • Valid passport
  • One passport photo. Must be less than 6 month old and comply with the Finnish passport photo requirements.
  • The originals or hardcopies of all the documents upload to the online application.

Book an appointment with Embassy Of Finland, Canberra using SetMore

The Embassy only accepts credit or debit card payments (cash, Diners Club and Amex cards are not acceptable). The fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. The fees are subject to change in accordance to the Ministry's official exchange rate, so the applicants are asked to check the current service fees from the Embassy's website.


  • Finland and Australia have signed a reciprocal agreement on medical treatment. Further information about reimbursement of costs for medical treatment is available on the website of the Social Insurance Institution of Finland,
  • Citizens of New Zealand must have a valid health insurance issued by their national authorities for their entire travel to and stay in Finland.
  • Citizens of New Zealand are not charged a processing fee.
  • The Embassy recommends that all applicants purchase travel insurance for their entire travel to and stay in Finland.

Working holiday in Australia:

Please contact the Department of Home affairs:      

Working holiday in New Zealand:

Please contact the New Zealand Government Immigration Service: 

Print this page

This document

Related websites

Updated 7/16/2018

© Embassy of Finland, Canberra  | About this site | Contact information