Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Working holiday in Finland - Embassy of Finland, Canberra : Services : Working holiday


Embassy of Finland, Canberra
Tel. +61-2-6273 3800
E-mail: and
English | Suomi | Svenska | Facebook |  |  | Instagram

Working holiday in Finland

Agreements on working holidays have been in force between Finland and Australia and between Finland and New Zealand since 2002 and 2004 respectively. According to the agreements, citizens of Australia and New Zealand are permitted to reside in Finland for 12 months. A working holiday residence permitis primarily intended for a holiday, but it also involves the right to work to a limited extent.

All applicants for a residence permit must fulfil the following conditions:

  • the applicant is between 18 and 30 years of age when applying for the permit
  • the applicant does not have a dependent spouse or dependent children
  • the applicant has not been granted such a permit before
  • the applicant is in good health and of sound background.

Applying for a residence permit

In Australia and New Zealand, the application has to be submitted in person to the Embassy of Finland in Canberra. The application may also be submitted to the Embassy or the Consulate of Finland in the country where the applicant is residing legally.

The following documents must be included with the application:

  •  The Finnish residence permit application for internship/working holiday visa duly completed (OLE_TY3).
  • Appendix to residence permit application; Passport photo (OLEL_PK).
  • The applicant's valid passport.
  • Two (2) passport photos meeting the requirements set by the Finnish police.
  • A document providing proof of sufficient funds (approx. 3000,00 Australian or New Zealand dollars) for the first three months.
  • A return ticket or sufficient funds for purchasing it.
  • The processing fee
  • Registered Post Envelope and extra cover (if you wish your passport and the residence permit card to be returned by mail)

If necessary, the mission may request further information.

The processing fee must be paid in Australian dollars and it is payable to the Embassy when the application is submitted. The Embassy only accepts credit or debit card payments (cash, Diners Club and Amex cards are not acceptable). The fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. The fees are subject to change in accordance to the Ministry's official exchange rate, so the applicants are asked to check the current service fees from the Embassy's website.

⇒ All forms are also available online at the Finnish Immigration Service's website: > English services > Application forms > Residence permit application forms.  


  • Finland and Australia have signed a reciprocal agreement on medical treatment. Further information about reimbursement of costs for medical treatment is available on the website of the Social Insurance Institution of Finland,
  • Citizens of New Zealand must have a valid health insurance issued by their national authorities for their entire travel to and stay in Finland.
  • Citizens of New Zealand are not charged a processing fee.
  • The Embassy recommends that all applicants take out a travel insurance for their entire travel to and stay in Finland.

Working holiday in Australia:

Please contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenships:      

Working holiday in New Zealand:

Please contact the New Zealand Government Immigration Service 

© Embassy of Finland, Canberra  | About this site | Contact information