Working holiday in Finland
Agreements on working holidays have been in force between Finland and Australia and between Finland and New Zealand from 2002 and 2004 respectively. According to the agreements, citizens of Australia and New Zealand are permitted to reside in Finland for 12 months. A working holiday residence permitis primarily intended for holiday, but it also involves the right to work to a limited extent.
All applicants for a residence permit must fulfil the following conditions:
- the applicant is between 18 and 30 years of age when applying for the permit
- the applicant does not have a dependent spouse or dependent children
- the applicant has not been granted such a permit before
- the applicant is in good health and of sound background.
Applying for a residence permit
In Australia and New Zealand, the application have to be submitted in person to the Embassy of Finland in Canberra. The application may also be submitted to the Embassy or the Consulate of Finland in the country where the applicant is residing legally.
The application must be accompanied with the following documents:
- The Finnish residence permit application for internship completed carefully (OLE_TY3).
- Appendix to residence permit application; Passport photo (OLEL_PK).
- The applicant's valid passport.
- Two (2) passport photos meeting the requirements set by the Finnish police.
- A certificate of sufficient funds (approx. 3000,00 Australian or New Zealand dollars) for the first three months.
- A return ticket or sufficient funds for purchasing it.
- The processing fee
- Registered Post Envelope (if you wish your passport and the residence permit card to be returned by mail)
If necessary, the mission may request further information.
The processing fee must be paid in Australian dollars in cash. The fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. The fees are subject to change in accordance to the Ministry's official exchange rate, so the applicants are asked to check the current service fees from the Embassy's website.
⇒ All forms are also available online at the Finnish Immigration Service's website: www.migri.fi > Services > Application forms > Residence permit application forms.
- Finland and Australia have concluded a mutual agreement on medical treatment. Further information about reimbursement for costs of medical treatment is available at the website of the Social Insurance Institution of Finland, www.kela.fi.
- Citizens of New Zealand must have a valid health insurance granted by their national authorities for their entire travel to and stay in Finland.
- Citizens of New Zealand are not charged a processing fee.
- The Embassy recommends that all applicants take out a travel insurance for their entire travel to and stay in Finland.
Working holiday in Australia:
Please contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenships: www.immi.gov.au
Working holiday in New Zealand:
Please contact the New Zealand Government Immigration Service www.immigration.govt.nz